Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ipods/ Duke University

Ipods, believe it or not, are quickly becoming an important tool for higher learning. Duke University has recently been allowing their students to use their Ipods and are calling it their Fall 07 iPod project. According to the Duke Digital Initiative webpage, "Handheld devices can be used to record student discussion sessions or tutoring sessions, and use podcasts to share comments and summaries to discussions. This function can be used for various subjects, e.g. Education, Writing, Philosophy, Information Science, etc."
The Duke website also states, "Duke University provides recordings of textbook materials, journals, songs, music, vocabulary, novels, stories, poems, radio programs, subscribed podcasts distributed by media source, oral history interviews, authentic speeches by notable figures, congressional debates, etc. These listening materials can be widely used for subjects such as Foreign Languages, History, Politics, Writing, Arts, Music." Students have written comments that the new iPod policy has greatly helped in their studies.
As for me personally I don't know if I'm such a big fan of the iPod in the classroom idea. I'm sure it is a great tool for recording audio and lecture but at the same time I think it could become a big distraction to the students. Students could become tempted to just listen to music or play games rather than listen to lecture. I'm not sure if I would be thrilled with the idea if I had my own classroom.

No comments: